View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #36
saltfly

The more I read this discussion.I just thought of my 6th grade class[we stayed in the same room all day].On the wall was the American flag hanging in the corner.A picture of every president was in order along the wall above the alpabet.We said the pledge of aliegence every morning.We said the lords prayer but I don't think it was everyday.In the windows were geraniums that were watered by assignment.At the rear of the classroom a friend and I had two terrariums with about 20 garter snakes and green snakes that the class fed earth worms.We had painted turtles in another that we fed and studyed about for two weeks then released back to the pond.We used microscopes[had one of my own at home] to look at all kinds of stuff in groups.What has me wondering in all this is...The kids are about 11yrs old and exposed to the media in a way that most of us never imagined.Yet we're afraid to show them a drop of pond water,vinegar[eels],pollen,and on and on.Putting a picture of the current president as an introduction to the microscope I really don't have an issue as long as it never comes back in science class.COOL BEANS...what else has happened in science class this week?