View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Ask these people

The top legal officials in 16 states, including Pennsylvania and Iowa which voted for Trump, filed a memorandum in support of efforts to halt the travel ban. The state attorneys general from these states argue they have standing as the executive order inflicts harm on states, including disruption at state universities and medical institutions.

The states include New York, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont, the Commonwealths of Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, as well as the District of Columbia.

and he's not a liberal Judge
Did you see the law that Scott posted? We have a 'supremacy clause' which says that federal law trumps state law. There is a federal law that gives the POTUS the authority to do exactly what Trump did, and I presume that law was signed by a president other than Donald Trump.

WDMSO, I don't doubt that a lot of people don't like this ban. Not liking it, and having the authority to disregard it, are not the same thing. I don't like paying my state income tax, it imposes severe hardship on my family, I could do a lot more for my kids if I didn't have to bear that burden. So can I declare my house a 'sanctuary' from the state income tax? Or can only liberals pick and choose which laws they feel like obeying, and which they feel like disregarding?