View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #35
scottw

you left something out

so why are we being inundated with people moving here from the countries listed and others and why aren't Americans flocking in hordes to all of these countries of wealth and opportunity, just wondering? Oh that's right , all of America is in a soup line...Just like Frontline, Al Gore, Michael Moore...grab something and report the part that moves forward your agenda, ya know, everytime I watch Frontline I notice that the object or their attack is always shown in unflattering black and white pictures with ominous music playing behind it, give me a break.. did you see the MORMON's bit...WHO ARE THEY? WHAT DO THEY REALLY BELIEVE? DO THEY REALLY EAT THEIR CHILDREN? Dark pictures and scary music, Frontline is a joke, I can't believe they get public money to produce this stuff... just as Al Gore who can not longer be found since the earth and it's oceans are no longer warming(check the story on the NPR website), he'll show up this summer when it's hot again probably claim credit for the internet again and stopping global warming in it's tracks, fraud...Michael Moore has been completely discredited

below are some of the remarks to the stable and prosperous countries list that were not included.....I wouldn't move to any of them...

For any would-be expats, you may also want to check the Gini coefficient which shows wealth distribution, transparency internationals corruption index and the economists quality of life index. This would give a balanced picture of how stability and prosperity can be measured.

Dan Hathway, san rafael, argentina

Some of these are not really independent countries at all- Montserrat, the British Virgin Islands and the Falkland Islands are British colonies or territories, while Guam and American Samoa are U.S. colonies- Their "stability and prosperity" is really as much a reflection of the countries which they are colonies of as it is anything else-

-Since when has Cyprus become "stable" by any definition?

Scott Benowitz, Rye, New York , U.S.A.

Up through the top 30, all these countries are so close to each other that someone traveling between each one would hardly notice any real (non-cultural) differences in prosperity.

Andy, Lexington, KY, USA

Nice to see Portugal coming in at a relatively lofty 18th position. Only just below Switzerland, with infinitely better weather and very much friendlier people. So at least i haven't "traded down" too significantly.

peter koeb, odeceixe, portugal

One must question the credibility and reliability of Jane's information Services when it does not include Bermuda in it's top ten list, let alone it's top fifty. Bermuda has one of the highest standards of living and has consistently been in the World Bank's, and other internation institutions, top ten countries in terms of wealth and quality of life countries.

Michael Mapp, New York, U S A

Btw, these 'prosperity' figures include the houses that we own - yes the very same ones that could well crash.....
it also doesn't include the £43billion of debt (including Northern Rock) that the UK is riding on.

Janes is UK based, and therefore susceptible to political bias and motivation. It is also not an accurate reflection of where this country will be in 18 months; ironically when Mr Brown is getting nearer to having to hold a general Election.

Drew, Manchester,