Thread: Cordless tools
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leptar View Post
Slipknot, I can rant on for hours and actually did so until i realized that i would seriously confuse people....

There is so much info on the .NET that covers all the info you need...

Know the difference between Ni-Mh and Ni-Cd... Know that Ni-Mh is expensive because of the Mah(amp rating) the higher the Mah the more $$$ the cell + you can charge a half pack back to full with no worry of memory... Ni-Mh cells are used in R/C racing the hardcore guys usually get 1 race out of a new pack before they "ebay" the pack.

You will need a good iron/soldering station..

The initial investment could be the price of 2 battery packs...

I have the Weller WTCPT station with the 201 pencil...

63/37 Solder is ideal

Thermistor To keep your cell from over heating,, shuts charge off at 180ishF

Cell insulators

Heat Shrink

Different ways to attach batteries... You can use the tabs, or on tab free cells you can solder wire, solder tabs, battery bars..

You will need to make a jig to hold the cells because you will need both hands and be quick... holding the iron, solder then to switch the solder for a hold down tool...after a while you can hold both in the same hand and do it with ease...

I practiced on dead alkaline batteries... You will know if your holding the iron on too long.. rule of thumb is 4 seconds on 10 seconds off... @700F...

Pre-tin everything... get some good scratches on the cells.. i use a dremel with a drum sander attachment.

Also remember to insulate as when you solder on the positive end there is only 1/8" of a gap from the positive tab to the negative side... you don't want excessive solder...

After the holidays i should be set with my "laundry room" work bench i'll try and get a video/photo on how to rebuild the battery as i need to rebuild my final 18V Dewalt XRP pack....

Burns tools is 5 minutes from my house and i used to go there once a month and touch stuff.. LOL
Burns gives you tool envy

that sounds complicated all that soldering, what are you doin? replacing cells?
I'll pass on doing it myself, sounds like you have a handle on that so maybe I just give you my old batteries

I bought the 2 pack drill/driver of makitas years ago but they are 12 volt, wish i had the 14 volt, but they work well and I am happy.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote