View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Linesider82

Ryan, I haven't weighed any before and after epoxy sealing so I don't have any info to provide in that regard.

I have used two methods CPES and envirotex.

CPES seems to continuously soak into the wood, I was surprised to be honest. I used a 1/8" bit to control this product while sending it down the thru hole. A single coat on maple of cpes is not enough, I had several splits using this product, it was also more time consuming.

Using envirotex as a sealer is what I use hands down outperforms the CPES. I place the epoxy bottles in a pan of hot water for 5 min or so, mix my epoxy, then I heat the plugs in the microwave (no lead no metal) for a bit maybe 10 second intervals until hot. Wearing gloves and over a drip tray, I start each plug by sending the epoxy down the thru hole until full and pouring out the hook holes, turn it on its back and do the same for the hook holes and if I have any the WT holes too. Super important is to plunge the thru hole to get the epoxy to work into and give complete coverage inside. Then I finish the exterior, esp the lip and slope cut, and tail, then coat the sides. Make sure the thru hole is clean, and I wipe the excess off to prevent runs if there is too much, add weights if it needs them, usually not with maple.

Then I just hang them lip up so I only get a booger on the tail. Make sure the bailing wire has a bend in it so there isn't too many contact points otherwise the wire will be difficult to remove once dried, I try to do this the following am or 12 hours later because it's fine to touch at that point because it's not a top coat.

I spend the extra time doing this because it really does help strengthen the wood, and I don't make a lot of them. I've done maybe 40 darters total so for me it's worth it.

You get a rock hard plug body as an end result, and good bottom lip protection for banging rocks on the retrieve.

Sorry I couldn't add to the discussion on weighting. I do think the plug body if baked and possibly microwaved would lose Wt because of the moisture content loss, but epoxy sealing overall would be more added wt. than other methods.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote