View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #100
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
verb (used without object), interfered, interfering.
1.to come into opposition, as one thing with another, especially with the effect of hampering action or procedure (often followed by with):
Constant distractions interfere with work.
2.to take part in the affairs of others; meddle (often followed by with or in):
to interfere in another's life.

Looks like the Russians, by releasing personal emails that they hacked interfered with the election.

Words have definitions, but they also have connotations. The definitions that you list for interfere can be applied to any political campaign. Campaigns are composed of opposing parties. Everything said in a campaign in order to detract from the opposing party and for the gain of one's own party, could be called interference if you wish to apply interfere as the descriptor. So, Hillary's entire campaign, and everything she said, would therefor be interfering with Trump's campaign, and thereby, as well, interfering in the election or election process.

I doubt that you mean to say that. Maybe you do.

On the other hand, if influence is used as the descriptor, it is quite logical that our election campaigns are about influencing the outcome--ergo about influencing the election not interfering with it.

The difference in connotations makes sense to say "influence" rather than "interfere." The use of interfere connotes more of a use of force or coercion or actual physical action. Influence connotes, in this context, persuasion. Campaigns strive to persuade, not force.

No one here claims it changed election which is the reason I think you guy's anger is so evident.
I have not noticed the anger that you cite here. You have done this several times in other posts. Saying anger exists where it doesn't. If debate is anger, then by participating in the debate makes you angry as well.