View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
FishermanTim

new PB largemouth bass this weekend.

I was fishing a local pond Saturday morning and after a few hours of paddling around and getting a few small bass I cast to yet another cluster of lilypads and had a bass explode on my rubber frog. It breached the water but missed the frog. I cast to the same spot, hoping that the fish wasn't gunshy about trying to hit the frog again.
Well the fish did not strike again, but on the same retrieve I noticed a bulge in the water behind the frog which idicated something following just below the surface. I slowed down a little and gave the frog a couple twitches and felt the frog get thumped (inhaled).
I set the hook and the rod proceeded to bend over. I knew I had a good fish, but didn't know it was going to be as big as it was.
When it jumped the first time I shouted "Holy crap!" and carefully reeling in what line I could. Id tried jumping a second time, but it was right next to the yak, so I was able to lip it.

A couple fishing on the shore next to where I was fishing noticed the commostion and asked if it was a good fish, at which opoint I held it up for them to see. The wife exclaimed "Oh my God, it's a monster!"

I paddled to shore with one hand while holding the fish in the water by its lip. (I had no intention of keeping or hurting this fish.)

I tossed my camera phone to the wife, and she took a couple pictures for me, as well as taking a picture of their own.

As soon as I can figure out how to get the picture so I can attach it I will.

The bass (based on conservative measurements) was roughly 27-30" long and at least 10 lbs. but maybe more.

All in all, it was the largest largemouth bass I have ever seen in out waters, and the largest bass I have ever caught.

To think, I had fished this pond for years, catching plenty of decent sized bass and pickerel, and I had no idea it would produce such a monster!

Now if I had as much luck with trout, salmon and Pike I'd be ecstatic!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote