View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #12
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Fair point - he had to make the speech because Hillary and the conservative pundits were hitting him petty hard on this. Passing on fourth and fifty is not so brave if you have no other choice. However he took the issue head on and did not go for the easy way out of saying I will never talk to this guy etc. Instead he spoke honestly about the concerns of both blacks and whites and did not try to gloss over the issues with generalities or feel good statements.
Leaving your church I think is a pretty big step and what Obama said was he knows a lot about this guy and he has done a lot of good for his parish. I can not argue with that one way or another. I do know that As a Catholic I have serious disagreements about what the Church has done with respect to certain issues outside the realm of religion. However I have not left the church because I believe you can separate the religious dogma from the actions of the organized body. I am not sure yet if I would vote for Obama but i think today showed me a lot about his willingness to take on one of the difficult issues that is facing this country.
Last point is before you judge Obama harshly for his association with Rev. Wright how upset were you when President Bush and former President Reagan spoke and gave their support to Bob Jones University a school that makes inter-racial dating grounds for to be expelled?
I'll pull an Obama. I'll go back and do some research on all the good that Bob Jones did in his life. Once I find enough, I will then counter your valid point with Jones' prior acts of charity and compassion.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan