View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #108
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
tax savings of $900 a month, ???? how do you figure that
It's a simple calculation, actually. There is zero state income tax in NH, and there is zero state sales tax in NH. I know exactly what I pay in state income tax, and I can make a good estimate of what I pay in state sales tax. That's my tax savings. That savings is reduced by the fact that local property taxes would be a bit higher.

We looked at a nice house in Sunappee, NH. Tax savings would be $900 a month in my pocket. And that does NOT include the impact of limited deduction of state/local taxes, which increases what I would save by moving to NH. And it doesn't take into account the certainty that CT will be increasing taxes again and again, to try to fund the union pensions. The cost differential between CT and NH (currently $900 a month for me) is increasing, not decreasing.

$900 a month in my pocket, just based on today's taxes. Plus, the University of New Hampshire costs residents $7,000 less a year, than UCONN does. For my 3 kids, that would add up to a savings of $84,000. 84 grand in my pocket, on top of the 900/month.

It's a fortune, an absolute fortune. I could retire years earlier if I moved to NH.

What do you think?