View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 04:40 AM   #16
Rmarsh

My new boss Roger was what I would call a home grown redneck. A country music lover and straight to the VFW after work. He was definately one tough SOB. He barked his orders and everyone jumped when he did. I was a skinny and under developed teenager, but I put as much effort as I could into it. I remember Roger looking at my skinny legs and with a grin saying "Bobby, how do those things hold you up? He was equally snyde with all the new guys, especially those of us with long hair. "What do you find under a pony tail?" He would ask us. He would answer himself with "A horses ass" and laugh at us. But as weeks went buy I found myself gaining respect and admiration for him as a leader and carpenter. I think he started to like me as well.
And..I started liking the job, the progress of a building going up, working outside in the fresh air, making new friends with some of the crew, and the takehome pay for my 50 hr week was $99!!
By the end of that summer of '73, my blisters had turned to calluses, muscles started growing where there were none, and with those big paychecks I was able to pay my Dad back for the car loan.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 09-17-2020 at 05:18 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote