Thread: Yak Rods
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
MassBass

I'm not a veteran kayaker, as a matter of fact, I have about 1/2 a season under my belt but been building rods for a while. I had purchased a 7' graphite MH from #^&#^&#^&#^&s as my kayak rod and after a few outings, it was apparent that it wasn't what I wanted. Too long of a butt section, action was OK but still kind of stiff for kayaking -at least for me, so I returned it and off into the cave I went. After I built a few kayak rods for my brother and I (who also started kayaking when I did), we soon started leaning towards glass blanks for it's soft/parabolic action especially when trolling as it has "give" when the lure/bait is first bitten or inhaled. I found this great for when trolling eels. Plus I can lean onto a glass rod much more comfortably than a graphite one when pulling fish out of rock piles or lobster pot fields. I also quickly realized that I don't like a long butt at all. The shorter the better, and by short I mean SHORT.
This is what I ended up with: short butt, comfortable grips, can use it with a spin or convench reel and able to handle smalls to large. I love it. Check out the pic.
Now if I could just find a better hole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (29.9 KB, 32 views)
MassBass is offline   Reply With Quote