View Single Post
Old 04-26-2004, 08:34 AM   #7
STEVE IN MASS

Oh, I misunderstood......if you direct seeded the peps, you should be all set.

The three iceman is an old, old thing from my grandfather, who probably got it from his father (they owned a farm). And that was in Jersey. And this year, the full moon is right around that time, so it may hold even more true. Though most years, where I am, April 15th-20th is usually the last frost, or at least the last deep frost. The lighter frosts can be dealt with (it was 31 here yesterday morning, though there was no frost on the grass or cars) with row covers, etc.

I rarely buy seedlings.....Only time I buy commericial seedlings is to fill in where my own stuff I started fails (like my early girl tomatoes this year......brand new seed, and not ONE sprouted....)..

The cole crops I plan on putting in were seeded myself about a month and a half ago, transplanted to six packs, and have been out in the cold frame for a good 2 weeks.

I do, however, have problems lately with brocolli and cauliflower bolting on me.....years ago it did great, but the last few years, the brocolli was just okay, and the cauliflower was all but useless.....in fact, I didn't even buy new cauliflower seed this year, just sowed what I had leftover from last season, figuring if it sprouts, so be it, if not, I'd forego the cauliflower this year. Ended up it all sprouted, so 8 or 10 plants will go in.

The cabbage, on the other hand, is always good, as long as I fight the slugs.......

See your PM's on the question....
STEVE IN MASS is offline   Reply With Quote