View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #43
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You post a video in response to my post regarding the 1.8 million path. But the video which is not about the 1.8, which he proposed a couple of weeks later. And the video shows Trump being "presidential" and being respectful and willing to deal rather than being your characterization of him being a bully.

Is your point that he said, in the video that he would sign a bill they came up with. He also had the caveat that the bill must include the cost of building a wall and that border security had to be addressed (in a meaningful way, no doubt).

There was Feinstein chirping in that they should pass a clean bill which dealt with the DACA issue first and then take more time on the security issue later in a comprehensive immigration reform. That's the same old trick the Dems pulled before. Get what they want up front, renege on the rest later.

January 23, 2018: After a contentious 69 hour U.S. government shutdown, the shutdown finally ends. The breakthrough in the impasse finally came after Democrats reluctantly voted to provide temporary pay for resumed government operations through February 8, 2018. Democrats relented on this issue in return for Republican leaders promises to soon address the issues of the currents struggle of Dreamers and other hot-button issues. Congress has until February 8, 2018 to find a solution to these issues or the government will shut down again.

Trump said that his version of a clean bill was security and DACA, then the immigration reform later. He said that he trusted the Congress to create such a bill and that he would sign it. Was such a bill that immediately funded the wall in full and seriously addressed border security, as he stipulated, proposed?
How much will a wall cost? What will the extent of the wall be? How high will it be? Whose land will the wall go on? What will the land cost?
Nobody knows, but you think Congress should give Trump a blank check. Is this based on Trump's business record?
I do not trust Trump.
I think we could find more productive ways to spend 50 billion dollars or more.
The GAO issued an opinion with concerns in August
https://www.gao.gov/assets/700/693488.pdf

Here is a piece by a noted "liberal" institution
https://www.cato.org/publications/co...wall-wont-work

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin