View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #18
JohnnyD

Joe,

In terms of the EBT, I'm talking about people that were originally poor and then went and had 4 kids and now are even poorer. Saw this a ton as an EMT. They aren't helping themselves, society and are almost certainly damning their children.

When talking about my lazy freeloader neighbor getting subsidized rent, he drives a gorgeous 2006 Lincoln. I cannot think of a single situation where that is legitimately acceptable.

@The Dad Fisherman
You are completely correct. Growing up with a single mom, she worked her ass off. At one point working 3 jobs with some 60+ hour weeks. She did everything in her power to bring home a sustainable living to keep a roof over our heads and never accepted government assistance as an option. And did it all as a high school drop out all on her own, so she started in no better position than many of the people we're talking about.

She is the reason why I have no sympathy for people that refuse to work hard to improve their situation and actually contribute to society, as opposed to always taking. However, my deepest sympathies do extend to the people that truly need help due to disability, illness, sudden loss of job and other legitimate hardships.