Thread: Vertigo
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Well, just been diagnosed with Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). On Monday morning I woke up and reached for my glasses on the night stand. At that moment I had a feeling that the room was spinning and I was very light headed. It lasted around 10 seconds or so. I hadn't had that feeling since my very first drunk as a young man when you go to sleep and the whole bed feels like its spinning.

Once I stood up I was fine. That evening the same thing happened when I was reclined while watching TV. That night when in bed the dizzyness would kick in every time I turned over. It was scary. So I called my Doc told him my symptoms - he knew right away it was BPPV. It all is connected to the inner ear. So I'm getting ready to retire in two months and thoughts of spending lots of time standing on rock perches casting for bass - but this vertigo thing could put a real crimp to my favorite pastime. I'll be trying an Epley maneuver which is to realign the balance crystals of the ear. Has anyone dealt with this type of vertigo?
Yeah, I started getting it a few years back.
I believe it's caused by some kind of crystal in you inner ear that gets dislodged, and when it moves in the inner ear you get the vertigo.
There is a process to correct it.
First thing is to figure out which ear is causing the issue.
If you are lying flat on your back and you turn to your right and it starts, then it's your right ear. Mine is the right ear as well.

Although I've never done the procedure itself, what I do eventually does the same thing in the end.

I would sleep on my left side with no problems, but if I roll over to my right, "presto". and yes it only last a few seconds.
It's not so much a problem when you are standing, but it most noticeable when lying down or first standing up.

Unfortunately it may never go completely away, but is completely manageable.

Good luck!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote