View Single Post
Old 07-21-2022, 06:53 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Why are we talking about New Hampshire now? I don't know enough about New Hampshire to answer your question. Maybe you could answer this question why does it seem the majority of red States do so much worse than the majority of blue States on almost every economic and social question?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"Why are we talking about New Hampshire now?"

It's one example of a state that has super low taxes, yet productive people are moving there in huge numbers. MAYBE there is something other states can learn from, about how they pulled that off. I think it's impressive when a state can cost a lot less than other states, yet still offer a quality of life good enough, that people want to live there. I think it's worth discussing. It's telling that none of you wants to spend one syllable on that conversation.

"why does it seem the majority of red States do so much worse than the majority of blue States on almost every economic and social question?"

Sure, even though you dodge my questions, I'll answer yours. Rich people tend to live in blue states, and they drive up certain metrics. That doesn't mean that the state is the reason behind it.

CT has very high average incomes. I think that has very little to do with anything the state does, and has everything to do with the fact that southwestern CT is a beautiful coastal area that's close to Manhattan. But again, the state of CT is doing something to make rich people want to live here. As we will learn in the next 20 years when our unfunded debt of $62,500 per taxpayer becomes due, you can't run a whole state on the backs of hedge fund managers. There aren't enough of them, and they can leave very easily when they want to.

Paul, what do you think happens to CT when enough Baby Boomers retire that we need to write pension checks that we can't fund? The unfunded debt might be as high as $62,500 for every single taxpayer. That's what's needed to pay for the promises the state made. Where are we going to gat that money?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-21-2022 at 07:31 PM..