View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 12:20 AM   #7
spence

Skip, this has nothing to do with left vs right

I think MikeT makes a very valid point. Terrorisim today is relative to what happened yesterday. This doesn't make it in any way acceptable, but to find a real solution you must be able to trace the path from where it came. This didn't just pop up out of nowhere.

To try to understand why someone would strap explosives to their body and blow up a cafe doesn't mean you seek to legitimize their actions.

The whole "they hate us for our freedoms" line Bush keeps pounding on is complete BS because it ignores the fact that there is 100 years of very recent history directly impacting what's happening today.

Watching the video of the planes hitting the WTC yesterday didn't enrage me like it did three years ago. It made me wonder why we aren't doing more to address the root issues that are fueling global terror.

To put it more bluntly, we need to be a bit more honest about what's going on. The yea, yea killem routine isn't going to get us very far if we are intent on maintaining an open society.

It's fine to use the stick when applicable. I have no problem kicking rear when the situation dictates. But we also need to build bridges to strengthen moderate Islam and deal with real issues that are creating so many terror recruits.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote