Thread: HR 4269
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

There is a process gun owners must follow in order to possess their guns, including a background check, and, at least in Massachusetts, authorization from local police chief, or local agency.
The back end of the license process, similar to drivers license, is not well defined. Slippery slope? Maybe. But has some merits.
If I am at a gun range, I am always super aware of who is around me and their actions. No way I want an unstable individual there, especially with a firearm in their possession. There have been some who would have been judged stable, but by their behavior and handling of a weapon have made me nervous. So while not having read this particular law in whole, it has some merits in protecting the public.
But..... It is not trying to override an amendment of the Constitution. It is not banning possession of certain weapons. It does include a rough draft of a due process that would need to be developed. (Not a lot of Mass. judges that I would want deciding my rights in this situation.) I don't care if it is a resident, a neighbor, family member, fellow military unit member, or just another guy at the range; if they are not mentally fit, they should not be in possession. As redlite once said on this board; owning and carrying a gun is likely the most awesome responsibility one can have.