View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
putty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Some articles in OTW are a good read but that's all, but the collection of blitz stories in this months issue, including one by our own Mike Bombardier; really put a smile on my face. I've been lucky enough to be there for three (all in consecutive years) of my own blitzes and a dozen mini short lived but memorable blitzes. My three most memorable are similar to Ron Powers Pogy Massacre in Boston article in the time line and story. In back to back years massive blues and bass had moved a gigantic school of pogies inside Hingham and had them trapped in the channel just outside the rotary at 3A and just outside the moorings. Every pogy you snagged and dropped was slammed by either a blue in the teens or a bass over 25 lbs. I've relayed this story before but my first pig (52lbs) came on a 6 foot penn rod, 12 lb test and snag hook with the barbs filed down. Long story short, I never got that pogy back the boat to put it on heftier gear and it was an amazing fight to say the least.

The following year it played out like groundhog day, same month, same week, same spot and same results; although this time I upped the weight to 55 lbs. Year 3 I was still working with my dad in his home office in Scituate and my noon tradition was to grab a sub at Maria's sub shop (best around even to today) and head to Pegotty Beach and eat overlooking the beach at the cliff. Let's just say I had one large bite of that sub before I grabbed my 9 foot rod and ran down to the beach. The entire cove was white water and at any one time, there were dozens and dozens of pogies airboard to avoid the slashing teeth of gater blues and the large s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g mouths of 30-40lb and larger bass. Caught until my arms were tired and knowing my dad was probably fuming that I wasn't back. Blues to 18 lbs, dozen bass in the high 30's and one 43lber I gill hooked came home to mount and one bass I wish didn't come unglued at my feet because she would have made the two previous years 50's look small. I'm pretty sure that was a 60+ lb fish, it was so long I could believe it and when she saw me; it was a 180 in the wash in front of me and massive effort with that giant tail and she and the atom popper were gone. This last was by far the best as it was all top water blow ups and one fish of a life time that got away.

Those are the memories that get you back year after year, the hope that just one more time, you can be there when the blitz happens.
Thanks for sharing- my home waters and I haven't seen a blitz of this caliber of fish in ages. Still get blitzes on pegotty regularly in the fall, but it is usually only schoolie action. And I agree 100% on Maria's subs!

A quick one- Guessing it was probably back in 2008 or so I was out on a buddies boat early September down in Plymouth Bay- anchored up in a light fog chunking the flats for a rogue fish looking for an easy meal & it was very slow going. We decided to take a run out around Long Beach and discovered that there was a gigantic feed going on basically the entire outer channel from the tip of Long Beach over to Bug Light, Browns Bank to Saquish Head and all the way out to the Gurnet. Loads of boats out there lining either side of the channel just hammering fish- we set up right on the point of Long Beach- nice white sandy bottom and the number of bass that were streaming out of the bay right under the boat was just staggering- and all medium to large. We certainly weren't thinking conservation at that point in our fishing exploits and quickly harvested 4 fish in the 36-40" class, lost 2 est. 35# + class fish at the boat and my buddy almost got spooled by a fish simply would not stop (we were using Shimano 3000 class spin gear and ugly sticks back in those days).
putty is offline   Reply With Quote