Thread: Do you.......
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #22
Flaptail

Smile

This season, so far, it seems we have taken a small step back in time. There is a noticeable decrease in "other folks" coming to the Cape. My wife's summer job in a restaurant has notcied it and in my travels I have noticed it. The folks who owned summer cottages for family use are here, the hordes of renters ( except for this week ahead maybe) are not here as strong as they once were.

This is one of the only good things that can be said for the gas prices and thier fallout in food and other luxurys. Bad for local merchants to be sure but for us who do not rely on summer visitors for business and income to make the year in black, it's actually kind of nice.

Very noticable drop in the number of small boats at the ramp ( the weekenders) not the fisherman though there are fewer of them too.

But I can remember the 60's backed up in my parents overheating Dodge on rt 6 in Wareham trying to get over the bridge in summer.
Have not had one traffic back up yet this eason coming over onto the cape on Fridays, usually it's bad by 11am each week, not this year.

If gas and oil go higher in fall it will be even more noticable. There is a silver lining to everything and this is it as far as I am concerned though it's 15 cents more painful per gallon in the span of the Bourne Bridge from one side to another ( 4000 feet).

Oh well gotta see the positive or you'll go nuts.

Oh and BTW Karl, it's the natural progression of the sands of Nauset that has you really F'd up. Oh the old Long Bar days! sigh.......

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote