View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
King Cod

here was mine:
Mrs. Griffin,
I just wanted to voice my support for the emergency cod measures you are proposing. I'm 17 and recreationally fish for cod frequently, and had the opportunity to experience some of the incredible fall cod fishing this year outside of Boston Harbor; it was the best, by far, for both size and quantity, that I have ever seen. However, upon the arrival of December 1 and the invasion of the area by commercial fishermen, the quality of the fishing absolutely plummeted. I witnessed hundreds of dead cod on the surface, tossed over the side by gillnetters to stay under their 800 lb quota; no codfish stood a chance. I have never seen such an explicit raping of the resource, and it is encouraging to see such strict and fast action by you. I see that we as recreational fishermen too, but speaking for us, as well as a young angler, I would much rather make a minor sacrifice now than to see the end of this tremendous inshore cod fishery, described by some as the best in the world, disappear into memories of the "old days."
Thank you for your efforts and you have my full support.
-Willy Goldsmith
King Cod is offline   Reply With Quote