Thread: Pink Slime
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Yes, an unfortunate story from many angles. Questionable product, questionable production, lost jobs, shuttered companies.

Will this be the market voting with their feet? Or will this be mob rule? Or can this be salvaged in some way?
I think the awareness is valuable. The issue isn't even really the pink slime as much as it's that we've become dependent on proteins from industrial farming practices that aren't natural. We feed cows grain instead of grass, then jack them up with anti-biotics to keep them from dying as they grow twice as fast.

I remember one time in the late 1980's when we were out hunting pheasants...we pulled off to park into a field with a dozen cows munching on a pile of Fruit Loops about 12 feet high.

While scaling production to meet demand is certainly a challenge, if things were being done properly from the beginning they wouldn't be soaking beef in ammonia to kill e coli...because it wouldn't be there in the first place. Same goes for poultry.

It's interesting when I read threads and people are complaining about 5 buck a pound ground beef versus the 99 cent stuff like it's apples to apples. I'll gladly pay to have something processed from fresh meat on premise that day...and also recognize we're fortunate to be able to afford it.

-spence