View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Mr. Sandman

Nothing like reeling in a 50# fish on a 130 in the holder...

I don't fish 130's but I use PP hollow core 130# with a 100 yard mono top shot (also 130# give or take). I don't fish out of rod holders often, I prefer actually fighting the fish. That said I am getting a couple short bent butts for the option of holder fighting but they will be attached to 80w's. If you fish dacron you will need 130's just to hold the line you need because you will not have enough on smaller reels. I like smaller lighter tackle. That is what makes this technology so great. These new rods and reels make it possible to stand up and fight these things when before it was a fighting chair ordeal.

I have tried all combinations of line offshore. From all braid, to all mono and everything inbetween. Lost fish on all braid, great fight but you will pull hooks clean out. All mono way too spongy, the fight is dull. Dacron is OK but you need oversize gear to hold enough. For me I like troll off the mono the have a half mile of braid on the spool, You get enough give on the mono without pulling hooks and you have enough capacity to fight anything with standup gear. (30w's, 50w's, 80w,s). Last year I replaced all my offshore gear with this combo and I love it. Great for canyon trips, great for off the island for mid size and great for trips east for larger bluefins. I suppose if you are a true commercial fisherman day in and day out, you fish Dacron on hydraulic reels in the holder. That is just not fun, for me anyway.

My rec is to do what works for the type of fishing you enjoy most often. There is no "ideal" way to do this for every style of fishing.

Oh...most of my offshore reels are 2 speeds. I would not even think of getting a single speed reel unless you are talking inshore activities.
You can do a lot in low gear..., and switching is not all that hard, it requires pushing a button, it's not like you have to double pump a clutch.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote