View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
You are in your 80s? Hahaha j/k
When I was a kid, I did cub scouts up until Weblos. For some reason, all my friends declined to continue in Boy Scouts.

When I was in elemantary school, we might have had 2 or 3 classrooms for each grade. And I bet each classroom, within each grade, had a den or pack or whatever the smaller unit was. But there were always a ton of kids at school in the uniform, because they'd go to one family's house right from school for the meeting.

In the town where I live now, which is a great town for kids to grow up in, it's FAR less popular. But fortunately it is still around. I hope all 3 of my boys love it.

As I get deeper and deeper into parenting, i am less and less interested in spending all my time getting them involved in traditional sports. If any of my kids wants to play travel baseball 6 days a week, i will support that, but I'm not bringing it up or suggesting it. I'd rather expose them to things that will provide lifelong benefits (scouting, karate), or at least expose them to sports (like tennis) that they can do forever.

John and TDF, I think you really nailed it by bringing up scouting. No one wants to hear that there is an almost sure-fired solution, but that solution involves discipline and work. Liberalism is based more on the philosophy of "if it feels good, do it, and don't expect me to face the consequences".

I wonder how many families that are heavily involved in scouting, are truly dysfunctional. Not nearly as much dysfunctionality as the average family, I am certain of that.