Thread: Mistake?????
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
just curious, what to do folks think the government CAN do for the economy?
I am by far very well informed on the grand scheme of the economy but, as a layman, I've always wonder...

- Raise tariffs on imported goods (hopefully spur more domestic production)

- Work towards raising the value of the dollar (encourage foreigners to invest in US businesses)

- Work towards eliminating the National Debt by attacking it from both ends, prohibition on earmarks and not renewing the Bush Tax cuts. Yeah, it's going to suck for some time because people want immediate fixes, but the government keeps putting band-aids on broken bones.

- Limit non-war related Defense Spending to under 3% of GDP. This would equate to a 25% cut based on Defense being about 4% of GDP this year. Then, as we become more prosperous Defense spending can increase in a relative fashion.

- Require the non-disabled group of people who receive social services to work. Instead of the massive Agricultural Subsidies that the government gives out, provide farmers with "Subsidized Labor". This would reduce the incentive to hire illegals, displace the government's financial burden and hopefully reduce overall costs.

- Most importantly, ignore the Politically Correct bull$@#@ and Red Tape that prevents both parties from taking the most effective, appropriate action due to mitigating fallout cause by upsetting an ignorant, poorly informed public.

I'm sure there are huge holes and consequences I haven't considered above.