View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I've been into Cast Iron lately.....Lodge comes pre-seasoned so there is no need to season it. I would recommend frying up some bacon for your 1st time though to get some of that grease soaking in.

Don't soak'em but you can use a mild detergent on them when cleaning. The No Detergent thing is a left over from the days when detergents were extremely harsh...Back in the days of Lye. This would eat the patina (The Seasoning) right off of the cast iron.....you want to get a stiff bristle brush to do most of your cleaning....don't use a wire brush. Scrape it good under running water, again, don't soak it. and when you're done cleaning it heat it up a little on the stove to dry off any residual moisture. Then hit it with a light coating of Crisco. If you do this that pan will be getting handed down to your grandkids.

If you feel the need to re-season just take the pan and coat it in Crisco, inside and out, and place it in your oven for an hour at 400. Place a piece of tin foil on the lower rack to catch the drippings so it doesn't get all over the oven. it will stink by the way so send the wife to the liqour store for you while you do it

and by the way...if anybody is looking to get rid of any cast Iron Pots/Pans/Dutch Ovens PM Me I'm more than happy to help

Hope this helps.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote