View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
falkners

I have tried them all and this is what I now have in my three yaks and several friends for the past 6 or 7 seasons. Take a piece of 4" drainpipe about three or for inches high and contour the bottom edge to fit your hull as closely as possible. Sand the area of the mount with course sandpaper. Apply a generous bead of Marine Goop to the bottom edge and set it into the bottom. Let it cure overnight. Apply a second bead around the inside and outside corners. You can smooth it and work it with a wet finger . Let it cure overnight. Take the transducer and sand the bottom surface. Apply Goop to that surface and push the transduce down and place a weight evenly on top of it letting it cure overnight. I used a sock full of sand. Take a tube of Lexell caulk and pour it into the tube burying the transducer. This anchors the transducer and protects it from being jarred loose by the loading and unloading of the yak. The Lexell stays flexible for a few days so the whole process takes about a week. It will harden up in time but still stays very pliable You could probably do it faster but why not do it right. I have dropped my yaks and even had one picked up by a 40 knot wind and flipped over end to end three times and the transducer wasn't loosened.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote