Thread: The Antifa Myth
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #55
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Peaceful assembly and protest WHEN THEY HAVE COMPLETELY LEGIT POINTS get dented pretty hard when others co-opt the movement with throwing bricks and looting businesses.
So start small. Don’t let it get dented here. You know they are different, defend it.

This is a hard one to navigate, because otherwise, we make it too easy to manipulate the system into never fixing itself. Every time someone protests a legit gripe, send in some rioters so no one believes them. I’m not saying that’s what happened here, I’m just saying that if you’re willing to associate the two, you allow that to be a possibility.

The other choice here is to develop some habits where we distance the two conversations, discuss them on their own merits, and vigorously defend each thread from being poisoned by the other.

But both groups of opinions on this site are guilty of not doing this, heck I even failed to do it the other day when I found myself devolving into a rant about trump during a message that started about protests, right after saying we should be better about separating this stuff, so I know I’m not perfect.

BUT if we each admitted that the topics themselves had merit without spilling over to the others, the sharp minds here would probably get somewhere closer to consensus, and might actually move some opinions forward.

Instead we cut the meaty dialog around the merits of the protests short by saying things like everyone is an animal that can’t function in society because they just start rioting, or all cops are bahstads.

And that’s fooked up
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.