Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Jim,
Character is Destiny
Trump won’t change

From Forbes

The Intrusion Of Reality

There’s a catch with the use of fictions in politics. “The chief disability of propaganda,” wrote Hannah Arendt in her classic book, The Origins of Totalitarianism, “is that it cannot fulfill the longing of the masses for a completely consistent, comprehensible, and predictable world without seriously conflicting with common sense.”
For a time, common sense can be held at bay and prevented from intruding into the cocoon of reassuring fiction. Yet the deliberate distortion of reality is also the cause of propaganda’s inevitable downfall. It is the inexorable collision with reality that eventually ruins the cocoon. It’s not a matter of whether. It’s only a question of when.
For a time, common sense can be held at bay and prevented from intruding into the cocoon of reassuring fiction. Yet the deliberate distortion of reality is also the cause of propaganda’s inevitable downfall. It is the inexorable collision with reality that eventually ruins the cocoon. It’s not a matter of whether. It’s only a question of when.
The trifecta of disappearing tax refunds, falling farm incomes, and an extended government shutdown, along with the failure to secure funding for the wall are the most powerful shocks to the cocoon so far. The shutdown alone made significant inroads into Trump’s support. As of today (Wednesday), only two days before the Friday deadline, Trump hasn’t ruled out the possibility of yet another shutdown, although most see that as “a sequel no one needs.” But who knows? As Bret Stephens points out in the New York Times, Trump is perfectly capable of “committing suicide twice.”
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I see! So Trump is defined by his actions (which is totally fair), but Omar is not, as long as she apologizes. So she can keep bashing Jews for being evil and only caring about money, but as long as she apologizes each time, she's not a bigot.

That makes ALL KINDS of sense.