View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
FishermanTim

Before buying an auger, think of what you will be fishing for, where you will be fishing and how you will be transporting it.

A power auger is nice, but can take up space in your seld and can be bulky to haul around. I have one, and I do use it, but it is a hassle to haul around.
hand augers are fine, but when you have to cut through thick ice, it is hard to cut one hole at a time (with a rest period in between) every 15 minutes. I have deliberately used my hand augers the past two weeks on some very thick ice.

Now a hand auger WILL cut thick ice with no problems, well only one....clearing the shavings from the hole.

I was cutting 6" holes in 24"+ in southern NH and 8" holes in 30"+ ice in the lakes region. I can cut a hole in less than 20 seconds, but will spend more than a minute clearing the shavings from the hole after that.

I can't speak for the propane or eletric augers, but they do have merit, and maybe some who have /use them can chime in.

the bottom line is do a little research before buying so that you are getting the best auger for YOUR needs.

Good luck!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote