Thread: this is great
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
John Blind eye?? you say this as if importing the competition hasn't been going on for 100 years .. it has zero impact on Jobs losses in America .. or whos on welfare it comes down do wage per hour and expect people to work 80hrs a week at 8-15 dollars an hour, pay rent buy food is unrealistic, while corporate America fleeces America and its worker ...

Most US manufacturing jobs lost to technology, not trade
https://www.ft.com/content/dec677c0-...5-95d1533d9a62
WDMSO, do you think that every single job in our economy, should pay a wage that can support a family in minimum comfort? Tell that to a guy who owns a small pizzeria, that he needs to pay his bus boys and cashier $40k a year.

Some jobs just don't add that much value to the business. They just don't, not even close. But businesses need people in those roles. And it's still a good thing to put people in those jobs, as an entry level experience to learn basic skills.

I don't want anyone trying to raise a family on $12 an hour. But SOME jobs cannot pay more than that. It's not about what we want for the individual (we all want them to thrive)...if the job is in the private sector, then the pay must be connected to the economic value added by the person in that role. That's how the private sector works. And it's not all bad.

We can't all work in public labor unions. Most of us have to work in the private sector, and in the private sector (unlike public labor unions) we must get our customers to freely choose to exchange their money for our services. And to do that, the customer has to feel like he's getting his money's worth. Which means that business owners can't pay more than the economic value (as perceived by the customer) for each job.

WDMSO, if I owned a pizzeria and paid everyone who works for me at least $40k a year so they could support a family, how much am I going to then need to charge for a large pie? Are you going to pay $50 for a large pie so that I can pay my cashier $40k a year?

Your idea (pay every single person a livable wage regardless of the job they are in) sounds great. It's not remotely possible in the real world.

Liberals seem to think that every single business owner is fabulously wealthy, and can easily absorb the impact of paying every single employee a wage that a family can survive on. It's just not so. If that were the case, I would be screaming at the top of my lungs that minimum wage should be $20 an hour. But if we made that the minimum wage, huge numbers of businesses would go out of business, and millions of people would be unemployed. And many businesses that remained, would have to triple their prices.

I think you've spent too much time in the public union sphere, and not nearly enough time in the private sector. The next time you go out to eat, ask the restaurant manager what would happen if he had to pay everyone 40k a year, or whatever it would take to support a family the way you think they should be supported.

The liberals aren't putting any thought into this. It's not even close to being realistic. Part of me says, fine, let's make minimum wage $20 an hour, and then watch what happens, just so liberals can't claim that there's no downside. Part of me wonders if they propose these idiotic things on purpose, knowing that conservatives will oppose it, just so libs can say "see, I want to pay everyone a fair wage, but that mean white guy over there is opposed to it. So vote for me, hooray!!"

Last edited by Jim in CT; 06-01-2017 at 11:06 AM..