Thread: NRA
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Maybe agenda-driven questions like this are why the NRA is so apprehensive to having discussions with the unreasonable:

Next, let's go to an AA meeting, hold up a bottle of high-proof vodka and ask:
"Here's a bottle of 120 proof vodka. Now, isn't it possible if we got rid of these high alcohol spirits and said 'you can only have say 40 proof or 70 proof vodka,' isn't it just possible we could reduce the deaths due to driving drunk?"
Johnny D, why is it unreasonable to assume that if you eliminate high capacity magazines, you can lower the body count?

Your analogy to alcohol is off. If vodka is banned, you're right that I can get just as drunk drinking beer. But in the case of these shootings, there have been documented cases where the shooter is stopped when he pauses to reload. That's fact. It also seems like common sense to me. The harder it is to shoot a ton of bullets, the lower the expected body count.

To me, the flaw in the argument for banning those magazines is, you can't confiscate the ones that are out there. So maybe it's 15 years from now before that has any effect, because a then-18 year-old can't get a high-capacity magazine.

I lso feel that any discussion around gun control is, at best, going to lower the body count after these attacks happen. Better to discuss what causes them in the first place, but liberals won't want to talk about looking at movie violence, video game violence, committing folks who appear to be insane, and family values.