View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #54
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
We have had three tube feeders hanging from low hanging spruce trees, but when you are one of the few feeding in the area, the hundreds of birds put enough on the ground that they rarely climb down. The large plastic bowls and axle grease seemed to be the final deterrent this year and the pump pellet is now thinning out the rest. Amazing how accurate and powerful that little pump pistol is, broke a spin this morning and send a second limping back up the tree. We have had 4-5 regulars and I think I have probably hurt or killed them all by now. Helps to have windows that open quietly and only 15 yards from where they are sitting, you just need to go to the opposite side of the house to pump as quietly as possible.
Why go through all that?

By the time you are said and done you'll have spent 4-5 times in $$$ on grease,plastic bowls,pellets and most importantly seed than it would cost to buy a true squirrel-proof feeder.

The shooting of the squirrels is fun for awhile but it eventually becomes a chore especially in the dead of Winter and you'll eventually get tired of it,trust me.And as far as the dead ones go who wants to spend the time skinning and dressing them,most folks don't know what do with them as far as prep for the pot goes.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote