View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #94
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Jim, it's funny how conservative ideas don't always have the intended result and sometimes become the things they want to change.
Look at the history of the family based immigration for a good example.
It was originally passed because the Supreme Court said that you could not exclude certain countries, and could not use quotas.
So they passed new legislation with the theory that if we make it so people can have their relatives come here, most of the immigrants for the past 75 years have been Europeans. We can give them an advantage because we want them, but we can't say that.
I said very explicitly, that conservatism has hurt people. No ideology is perfect. For the 100th time (it's getting tiring, so please try and pay attention) I was responding to Spence, who asked Detbuch who has ever been harmed by progressive ideas? Spence is very clearly under the impression that no one has ever suffered because of liberalism, and I pointed out examples to the contrary. That's all I was doing. I agree with liberals on some big issues (gay marriage, death penalty), but all I was doing here, was pointing out that people have been hurt because of progressive ideology.