View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Guess which Americans own the most contracts of the tar sand fields that will supply the pipeline and then guess who some of the largest political contributions to the GOP came from.

If you guessed the same for both you are correct!!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The owners of "contracts of the tar sand fields" will supply the oil derived from them no matter if the pipeline is built or not. Right now, without the pipeline, the oil is being shipped by rail. Which is environmentally more "dangerous" than the pipeline would be:

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2015/02/2.../?subscriber=1

And the pipeline was already considered environmentally "safe" by the government study I mentioned to you in the how can I vote Republican thread:

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2015/02/2.../?subscriber=1

So, the Koch Brothers will make their money from their tar sands investment with or without the pipeline. And they have no investment in the pipeline itself. And, as you said, they are American. Would you rather that some Chinese capitalist owned those investments?

Would you rather that some non-American who wouldn't pay the taxes or make the socially liberal charitable contributions that the Koch Brothers do? I understand that being the largest contributor to the GOP, on that point alone, would make the Koch Brothers bad people. And that they might actually be redeemed if they contributed that money to the Dems. But this nonsense about the pipeline is, in my opinion, just that.

The oil from the tar sands will be drawn and sold, with or without Koch Brothers investment. Someone would make money from the tar sands the Koch's invested in if they didn't. Nothing would essentially change, just the players, including the countries involved. Without U.S. involvement, China could be its replacement.

Last edited by detbuch; 02-25-2015 at 11:13 AM..