View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #28
Ian
Idiot

So here's an update on the progress with the boat (with more detail than any of you probably care to read) but the summary is: Things add up quick!

Now that I've had the boat for about a month, I'm noticing the "little things" that made it seem like such a good deal.

Things like the caulking around the base of the console leaking like its not caulked, mildew all over the inside fabric lining the walls of the center console, little electronic items not working in various locations, the gel coat looking powder white rather than shiny and waxed, etc.

Most of these things were things I knew about, but I don't think I anticipated the cost of fixing them all. None of it has been a "I wish I hadn't bought the boat" though... I compare it to when I bought my house... we knew what we wanted in a house and couldn't find it. So we bought a house that needed new bathrooms, a new kitchen, etc. rather than paying for what someone else wanted and ripping it out anyways.

So I've started the "build it back up" phase of this boat.

Got the bow nav light working and replaced with an LED rather than the broken incan. that was in there.

Pulled the stained and mildewy canvas off the t top and sent it in to be duplicated in Navy Sunbrella.

Bought a sun shade for the bow of the boat when we're floating as a family... This one can be easily underappreciated, but it has single handedly made my wife (who wanted a CC anyways) love the fact that we went Center Console, rather than something with a cabin.

Finally got the cushions out to the upholstery shop to be replaced, including making a 2 piece cushion for the bow.

Got some LED spreader lights for off the back of the T-Top, if anyone has use for 12v halogen lights, let me know, I have a pair (one needs a bulb) and they're yours for free.

Left on the "to-do list":

Buy a fish finder/chartplotter
Go over the whole boat with a polisher to try to revive this gel coat and then wax the hell out of it
Figure out why the OB wont spin up over 4400 RPMs (compression is fine, seems to either be power pack or carbs)
Go over all the parts of the boat that have been screwed in to fiberglass and re-seal the seams. (This one will probably spawn its own thread because it needs pictures to properly explain.)
Run wiring up through the t-top rather than zip-tying all the wires to the outside of the frame. Has anyone done this before? Am I better off just keeping it zip tied rather than drilling into the frame of the top and risking one of the welded joint not being open?

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote