View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Finaddict

Go Small

John makes a good point above, you won't always catch a giant cow when you go and some of the backwater/inshore areas may not hold super large fish -- although never overlook an opportunity for decent size fish to be swimming near and in the shallows.

but one thing that I have noticed with anglers is having rods that are too heavy when they are targetting areas that smaller fish are more predemoninat than the larger fish. the larger outfits don't provide the finesse that is often needed to work the smaller stuff effectively. If you can afford it, look at some of the 7-foot outfits that can throw rubber jigs and smaller storm shads, small poppers, small mambow minnows and cyrstal minnows. rods that can throw half-ounce jigs to 1 ounce jigs and plugs/1.5 ounce.

I use this type of spin rod from my kayak alot, catch a lot of fish up to 20 pounds, but the rod is suited to fishing cramped quarters, handles small fish and larger fish fine as well. I also use it in the back creeks, flats and estuaries when wading or from a boat.

For bigger water, have a larger rod like suggested above -- check with the shops on this site including Cape Cod Tackle, Saltwater Edge, etc. -- they can direct you to what you need.

just a thought.
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote