View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #145
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Here are some great examples of why Trump is labeled a racist.
In my eyes, when I see people defend this douchebag, I just see another racist or closet racist. Especially when they say ' everyone thinks these things, he just says what he thinks'.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...imes&smtyp=cur
The only item in that list of supposed racisms that is more solid rather than innuendo, guilt by association, or outright misrepresentation, is Trump supposedly saying "laziness is a trait in blacks." But I would have to see the full context. And we may have some preconception of a particular trait in a race (many previous anthropologists, such as Margaret Meade, have claimed various traits in tribes or races based on their personal observations that proved out to be too selective or more general in human nature). And while we may comment on one perceived negative trait, we may have other perceptions of that race that are positive. For most of us who have not studied racial characteristics in depth and in a scientific manner, we fall prey to stereotypes. If you believe the stereotype that the Irish are drunkards, it won't necessarily mean that you dislike the Irish or think that they are inferior. If you say that white men can't jump, that doesn't mean you believe white men are inferior. Obviously, even if there were some genetic trait in the Irish to drink in excess, most probably don't. And some white men can jump. And you may just carelessly be latching on to a stereotype.

As for the rest of the article, my opinion is that it is mostly misinformation, and deliberately so. I was particularly amused by one large section presenting the titles of articles in Breitbart as some indication of racism. Really? The title of an article? Correctly reading the articles, as I did with the Milo Yiannopoulos article, doesn't bare out the supposed racism that your article claims to be inherent in their titles. And Breitbart is not Trump, anyway. And assuming guilt by association is deceitful.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-15-2018 at 05:39 PM..