Thread: Sublime
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #28
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
That's why I quit smokin weed!

I don't hear many similarities between the Police and Sublime, I know you're going to say they were heavily influeced by Reggae and I will agree with you, but to my ear the similarities stop there. I will say that I don't own all of the Police releases but I think that comparison is a bit of a stretch. I love the Outlandos D'Amor album though and many other songs, I was once obsessed with learning Message in a Bottle on the guitar and it's still something I warm up with.

I'm not giving Sublime credit for bringing Reggae to the mainstream table, Clapton may have done that before the Police did, I don't know the dates off the top of my head. But outside of some indy, underground groups from the 1980s and with a little help from the Chili Peppers and maybe Fishbone, Sublime was the first band (That I know of) that brought the mixture of rap, raggae, punk rock and sampling to the ears of most people.

This is kind of a dumb argument... Sublime had a hand in the creation of the type of music that many of the groups of today are butchering... so did the unnamed bands you heard back when I was 9. But if you want to get crazy, The Beatles played a hand, so did Bob Marley and the guy who invented the guitar. Hell, the one-celled organsim that mutated to eventually become a human being had a hand in this too.

-Dave
just discussing, not arguing. nothin more.
I look at the chili peppers as taking alt/punk and bringing in funk
the police (before they were mainstream) and adding alt/punk/reggae
Not talking clapton, marley , they werent based in punk but the police and sublime are. the police were the first I've ever heard that went from reggae to punk in one tune. Both bands are rooted in punk and both go between rock and reggae. The Police also used the "c" word in a popular song which I always thought was ballsy.
There became a time in the 80s and 90s when mixing styles was very cool and something Im a big fan of. the beastie boys were major influences in this.
those unnamed bands I listened to when you were 9 were very popular bands like Fishbone, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Specials, Toasters. Locally you had the Jungle Dogs in Narragansett, Bim Skala Bim (Boston?)
If you havent heard Fishbone, rush out and buy their first 4 albums. One of my favorite bands of all time.
I really, really, really like Sublime. I wished I had paid more attention when they came out but listen a lot now.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote