View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
SeaWolf

being a rod builder, i've built and thrown a lot of rods and blanks. so, it's hard to suggest only a few. and, what works for one person in CT might not work in RI, or the Canal, or Nantucket, etc. but, with that said, here are a few of my highly recommended suggestions:

1.) GSB1321M and GSB1201M: great all around blanks. the 1321m has a little higher top end. both are great eeling sticks and about as durable a series as you can find. i fished my gsb1321m last spring and summer and forgot how great a rod this really is.
2.) SSU1201MH: one of my favorite all around blanks. not as great an eeling stick, but super light and lots of power with a wide lure range. i'm always surprised more people don't fish this series. it was one of lamiglas' better designs, at least the 1-piece ones.
3.) XRA1205: one of the best pure plugging blanks. if i get a call of a blitz around, i know i'll be plugging, and need to muscle fish in, this is one of the first rods i'll grab.
4.) GSB1081M/SSU1081M: both are great 9' rods that can handle Bombers to 3 oz darters and super light. the ssu is a little lighter and faster, the gsb is less expensive. both very similar overall.
5.) 4SRS110MHMF2: this "3-8 oz" St Croix Legend offering was my favorite rod all fall. i was able to throw 1oz jigs to 5-6 oz GRS lures and was never tired holding or casting an 11' rod after a night of fishing. this blank felt like it was a 1-piece rod.
6.) SB1213M: one of the best RI jetty blanks built. being glass it's very durable, can take being smacked around the rocks, strong, and cheap, if you can still find them. great built as conv.

for me, my spinning reel of choice is a VS 250. it could very easily be a VS200 as you really don't need a 250 for stripers. a VS150 is great for 9' rods. my conv reel is usually an Abu 7000C3. 50# braid on both.

as saltheart said, this list could very easily change in a year or 2. there are so many rod companies out now and many are building blanks for the NE surf. some just haven't caught on yet; some have. others are quite expensive. and others are very competitive in price. of course, what one person loves in a rod another hates. do you homework and shop wisely.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote