Thread: O B A M A
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #94
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don't hear this at all. I do hear specific people, or small groups of people (i.e. neo-cons) labeled as such, but never a big group like "conservative". Of course McCain wants to bomb Iran, he's a conservative etc... nope, don't hear it.

You're just making a circular argument here and are at risk of RIJIMMY's wrath

I wouldn't consider any of the examples of modified conservative to be used in the perjoritive, they are simply descriptions. Now I'm sure to some they could strike a negative emotion, but not among the general public, not usually at least.

-spence
The circularity is yours. You're the one who will dissect portions of the "big group like conservative" into its components and say that poking ill at various units is not doing so to the whole . . . Notwithstanding your plea that any examples of your "modified conservative" are "simply descriptions" not pejorative, though, you say " . . . I'm sure to some they could strike negative emotion."

In respect to the unmodified, pure "conservative," how about the long standing accusation that conservatives are "mean spirited?" The Black Community accepts "conservative" as synonomous with "racist." Hispanics, especially illegals, equate "conservative" with xenophobe. For Feminists conservative=sexist. Academia view conservatives as troglodytes, or worse. Anti-war factions see conservatives as war-mongers. Environmentalists view conservatives as enablers of planetary pollution and climate destroyers. Do Dems throw "conservative" around like Repubs do "liberal?" Maybe not quite, but they don't have to. Each special "liberal" group can wink and nod at what they really feel about conservatives. I may be wrong, again, not having your intuitive power, but I think that most people would be surprised to hear that "conservative" is a neutral term.

As far as your not "at all" hearing something, that might be more indicative of how tight your ear muffs are than what is buzzing all around you.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-30-2009 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: forgot to add detail.