Thread: assault rifles
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #166
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
This argument would hold a small amount of water if high-capacity magazines were on the list, but they weren't. Folding or telescoping stock, pistol grip, bayonet lug, grenade launcher - how do any of those things "increase rate of fire"?

There's that whole "Don't you have even a basic understanding of the simple functions of mechanical objects?" again - remember, your words not mine.
No, I copped those words from Reel I think. It's been a long thread.

While high capacity magazines were not on the Chinese menu, I do believe the AWB banned them in general. Doesn't a pistol grip usually give easier access to the mag release making it faster to reload?

Quote:
Is my semi-auto shotgun that I use skeet shooting within one of your inconsistent and undefined "grey areas"? For hunting, the ability to quickly get a second round off could mean the difference between being trampled/maimed by a pissed off boar or putting the animal down. For home-defense, how much good would the slow action on a bolt-action weapon do? Keep in mind that home-defense is more than home invasions. It's also a bear going after your horses or some negligent neighbor's pitbull chasing after your kid in the backyard.
Your semi-auto shotgun has limited capacity, is probably difficult to conceal and has a clearly defined and legitimate purpose. As for bolt action, you're just being silly.

Quote:
You forgot to ask about burst.
Not sure what model he was issued.

Quote:
Either way, the question is completely irrelevant because we aren't talking about combat situations. Just as you previously mentioned that there are many legally available items that become illegal when combined, there are many effective tools and products that civilians utilize that the military has also found to be effective. We are not talking about an exclusive situation here, where if the military can use it, then it must made completely unavailable to civilians.
It's a comparison that illustrates how the legal weapon is really quite close to the restricted weapon in use.

-spence