View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Saltheart

Long Trail Hibernator is a Double Bock (Dopplebock). Tell me how I know??

I asked this question in the thread on Winter Ales and got no answere. I was surprised as this is a well known naming tradition for beers. For centuries a double bock has been given a name ending in "ator". In this case Hibernator. If you see that ending on a word in the name , you know its a double bock and therefore strong to very strong as far as alchohol content.

A popular name for a while was Terminator , and of course the one that often pops into peoples minds....Fornicator.

My brewing handle has been "Michaelbrau" "The cats meow" since about 1986. When I made a double bock i would call it Something Cator. Examples , Black Cator , Alley Cator , etc.

Anyway , a piece of beer trivia about double bocks. look for that name ending if you want something strong and malty. be careful though , some can be as high as 13 percent and the achohol taste will be right up front. I prefer the 7 or 8 percent types . i can always drink an extra to get the alchohol without that raw alchohol taste up front.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote