View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #26
Rmarsh

Getting up early to work, and back home late, tired and hungry was cutting into my social life. I was dating my future bride at the time and nearly falling asleep on my drive home from her house......it was because of the travel time mostly, I thought.
When I heard about a job opening with a local custom builder, I called and set up an interview. We met at his cabinet shop on a saturday morning, he asked some questions about my experience, then if I had any tools. We went out to my vehicle, and I opened the trunk.
There I had my home made carpenter tool box, with its separate slots for my handsaws, and other compartments, filled neatly with all the basic hand tools. He turned to me and asked, "Can you start work today?" Caught me off guard, wasn't expecting that, but I said "Yeah...Ok". I followed him a short distance from his shop to a new home he was building, and he put me to work in the attic nailing up collar ties.
It was another raise in pay and only twenty minute ride to Mattapoisett, a beautiful seaside community, with a lot of wealthy residents. Much different than the inner city life in New Bedford where I was born and raised.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 10-11-2020 at 07:15 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote