View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G View Post
I think you're missing a big part of what this is about, because no one is raising taxes in this situation. There is no tax hike here.

What this is largely about is a big company using its influence to avoid having to collect a tax in order to maintain a price advantage over competitors (local to that state or otherwise) who do have to charge the sales tax due to being a business in that state.

Remember, this is NOT a tax on Amazon - the debate is about the same sales tax that any other business that operates in that state is obligated to collect.

It won't come directly out of Amazon's bottom line; the ONLY hit would be that their price advantage would disappear. Which may (obviously they are convinced...) reduce their sales in that state.

Welcome to playing by the rules everyone else does.

But Amazon believes it's special and shouldn't have to. Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops are famous for same tactic and small businesses have railed against it for years.
Pete G, I agree with everytihng you said EXCEPT when you say this won't necessarily impact their bottom line. Of course it will.

I also agree that a very compelling case could be made that Amazon deserves no special treatment.

My point was this...tax increases on businesses (which this is not) amount to tax increases on people. Many liberals seem to dosagree with that. Many liberals seem to think that you can raise costs on business without effecting any people.