View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Why testing is important

Just made and tested(thank god) these two swimmers out of AYC. Both are based off a pichney 6" troller I recently acquired...same hook and lead placement in both models.

One of them is a pichney troller knock off and is set up with an upper slot danny 2L lip and .4 belly weight. It swam as I envisioned it would when I built it with no tweaking, except for a slight downward bend of the wire.

The other has the same body but no slope and is set up to swim on top with a danny 2L mid slot lip. I started off with a .4 belly weight, which drove the front of the plug down and caused my "surface" swimmer to run about 1' down. Next I went to a .250 belly weight and same thing, it ran deeper than I envsioned despite messing with the lip and wire.

Last, I said eff it and removed the lead entirely...it now swims right on top as I envisioned it would. Without the swim test I'd be very disappointed had I gone ahead and finished up a bunch of surface swimmers.

I'm finding AYC to be a bit fickle with regard to making surface swimmers. You really need to check the wood density as some pieces look the same, but are up to 1/2 oz different in weight once finished. I have some with very wide growth rings which makes for a great surface swimmer, but the tighter grained stuff needs your attention if you intend to make a surface swimmer with it...not recommended unless you test it out first.

Pine seems to yield more predictable results, at least with regard to making Danny surface swimmers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0009.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	42938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0014.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	42939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0011.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	42940  

Last edited by Back Beach; 12-08-2010 at 04:10 PM..

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote