View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #125
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Not threats. It's inside information presented to him personally by a trusted administrator. This info wasn't some public release made by the school. In a formal sense, the School Administration has been a bit mum as to what the actual consequences would be. Very little information has been presented to the town aside from the fact that the school is facing a $4million deficit. The town has tried to find money for the schools but you can't get water from stone.

Aside from this year, I've been involved with the Mansfield School System since I got out of high school. I've seen the progression of cuts to departments, the progressive down scaling of support for the arts departments and decreased programs after school for students. This also isn't a matter of the budgets that "aren't where they'd like them to be." Some of the deficit is caused by the state providing significantly less to the town for the 2009-2010 school year even though the freshman class is over 100 students larger than the graduating class.

The $1.2 million is coming from the stimulus package - trickled down after being given to the state as allocated for education.
What happens when the $1.2 million is spent?