View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #31
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Bryan, if you have evidence that "anyone who can shovel coal" can be taught to write code, what is it? I am stunned you're saying this. One profession is unskilled physical labor, one is purely intellectual, technical problem solving. Couldn't be more different. If every coal miner can learn to write code, who probably can't learn to write code? Anyone? If you were a high school guidance counselor, is there any kind of kid, and kind at all, to whom you would not suggest a career as a computer programmer?

If they could all write code, why aren't they doing that? Better money, much safer, better longevity, more stable. Coal mining seems to me, to be what people do, who have zero other options.

I don't see it as anything close to sane.
Is it hyperbolic to say every single one can be trained, of course it is.

Part of this story is that the opportunities have to be made available to them. The existing programs have shown, that if you bring the training to them, opportunities can be found to advance in a career. Is it a panacea for everyone? of course not. It will take a combination of hard work and opportunities. While I disagree with UBI, part of Andrew Yang's message of lost industries like truck driving, mining etc are something we as a society should be thinking about. With every shuttering mine more and more people in that region will need opportunities. I would prefer this approach than welfare...

What should we do, in your opinion, if anything, in these areas. The market has spoken, we are transitioning away from coal for the foreseeable energy future.

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 01-03-2020 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g was autocorrected to #^&#^&#^&#^&ing....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"