View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Is it hyperbolic to say every single one can be trained, of course it is.

Part of this story is that the opportunities have to be made available to them. The existing programs have shown, that if you bring the training to them, opportunities can be found to advance in a career. Is it a panacea for everyone? of course not. It will take a combination of hard work and opportunities. While I disagree with UBI, part of Andrew Yang's message of lost industries like truck driving, mining etc are something we as a society should be thinking about. With every shuttering mine more and more people in that region will need opportunities. I would prefer this approach than welfare...

What should we do, in your opinion, if anything, in these areas. The market has spoken, we are transitioning away from coal for the foreseeable energy future.
I don't know what to do there, never claimed to. Money to improve education and training is a start. I made the thread in response to Biden's explicit statement that "computer programming" is the answer there. It's not, and only an idiot would say it is, and Biden qualifies.

Working is better than welfare, no question. But Bidens statement here, to me, sounded as disgusting as his promise (and he did promise, very clearly) that if he wins in 2020, there will be a cure for cancer. You have to have something really wrong with you, to say that. And that's what he said. He can deliver the cure, but only if we elect him president.