View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Maybe is the key phrase.

Assuming of course, we got an agreement with the Iraqi's to leave the troops there. If they don't want them, why should we stay and risk our troops for a war we should have never been in, in the first place.

We're going to be in the same boat with Afghanistan, should we just say FU to the Afgan gov't and leave the troops there, now, what, 12 years into the war? Risk more casualties of US forces?
"Assuming of course, we got an agreement with the Iraqi's to leave the troops there."

"why should we stay and risk our troops "

Given what is happening there right now as I type this, how can you ask that question?

The answer is this...better to ask the troops to take a little risk to maintain stability, then to watch the country descend into chaos, wait until terrosists take over, and then be in a situation where many more troops are asked to take a great deal more risk.

Or to answer your question more simply...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I guess Obama never learned that at Harvard.

We created the stable Iraq that existed a few years ago. We could us ethat fact to pressure them into letting us stay. We stayed in Germany, Italy, and South Korea, as a stabilizing presence.

"Risk more casualties of US forces?"

RIROCKHOUND, do you remember an event from not all that long ago, called 09/11? Do you know how that happened? Terrorists were given sanctuary by a government, and allowed to train, plan, and raise funds. Can you really say with a straight face, that we have no interest in preventing Al Queda from running a nation with vast oil supplies? We needn't be concerned if Al Queda takes over those oil fields?

I don't get how you can be so obtuse, and I really don't get how our POTUS can be. You can make a very compelling case that we should not have invaded Iraq. But th efact is, we did invade, and now the question that matters is, what do we do about it? Obama chose to tell the enemy exactly when we were leaving, against the advice of many people. It appears as if, once again, the situation turned to vomit as soon as he got his hands on it.

This is what you get when you elect a guy who spent his whole career in an Ivy League faculty room, and sdoesn't know anything about the way the world actually works. Some ideas sound awesome in the Harvard facuty room, but really aren't all that practical on the street.